Saturday, February 20, 2010

Motivation

This is undoubtedly the hardest thing to do. If everyone were motivated, then we'd all be models. What separates the best from the decent from the downright unhealthy is motivation and genetics. I, however, would rather have motivation than good genes any day of the week. I'll just throw up a random list of stuff I use to stay motivated and avoid cravings + stick with a workout routine:

-Track results - weight, look at myself in the mirror, envision end goal.
-Look at pictures of what you want to look like - I'm a heterosexual male, but I definitely have looked at Brad Pitt's abs before. Hey, it helps.
-Look at pictures of the opposite sex - yes I am a young man, and yes pictures of gorgeous women can help.
-Watch an inspiring movie - some nights it's Fight Club, some nights it's Rocky, and some nights it's Amelie.
-Listen to calming music - do not listen to music that pumps you up if you're trying to fight a craving (I've learned). Listen to stuff that calms you down and relaxes you.
-Get friends or family to do it with you!
-Brush your teeth - I don't know what it is, but I just don't want to eat as much when my breath and teeth are fresh. Weird?
-Chug water - drink loads of water and try to fill yourself up.
-Bargain with yourself - "Okay I won't go buy cheesecake, but I'll let myself have a much healthier peanut butter sandwich"
-Strike a future deal - I will let myself go nuts and eat whatever I want for 2 days when I lose 10 lbs.
-Think about people of the opposite sex that wouldn't go out with you - it sounds childish, but I'm often most motivated after a break up! Weird, I know.
-Remember you will feel terrible if you slip on your routine, and food will only satisfy you for the time it takes to eat it. After you're done eating it, the satisfaction will be replaced by shame.

The toughest (which has taken me years to master) but the best way to avoid cravings and stay on target: JUST DO WHAT YOU MUST. You have to convince yourself that you don't have an option, and you have to form the habit. It takes the human brain roughly 30 days to form a habit - that means you can't break the process, and each day must be of utmost importance. No matter how much you want to buy that apple pie from the grocery store, just walk away. No matter how much your brain wants you to buy that candy bar, just don't let your hand reach out for it. It's simple on paper, but tough in practice. Just don't do it no matter how much your mind shouts at you! Walk away, and realize "nope, I don't have a choice"

No comments:

Post a Comment